If you have your own website or blog, surely you know of the various advantages of using WordPress.
If you have just started off blogging then you will really like the idea of using open source blogging software. The easy to use platform cuts down on hassles involved can be downloaded easily via the internet. It works swiftly and most of the tools that you need for blogging are provided in the software package.
If you are thinking of starting off with WordPress too, here are a few tips that can help you out.
Source – arrayexception
1. Installing the software – You will need a web hosting server to install the software. Although many such servers are available, most people and WordPress itself recommends Bluehost. There are many advantages of using Bluehost. Firstly, it offers you unlimited hosting space and also provides a free domain name. The entire installation process is very simple and happens in a single click. Also, the software offers a 99% uptime guarantee. Other reliable hosts are dreamhost, laughing squid or host gator. But you can also set up your own account. Just select an appropriate hosting plan and domain name from the My Hosting Account setup.
2. After installation – This first to do after installing is to create a new user account in the Users tab. Then, sign out only to log back in with the new account to delete the default admin account. Make changes related to the date and time in the settings tab. Choose an appropriate theme and turn off the visual editor. Add Google Analytics, attune RSS and put the FeedBurner into action. Start managing all comments or spammy messages using the right plugins.
3. Manage plugins – It is really easy to manage plugins on the WordPress platform. Select the “add new plug-ins tab” to append additional plugins. To start using nay plugin, you will have to first download it from the plugin developer or WordPress and then upload it to the plugins directory using FTP. To activate this plugin, you will have to select the activate tab from the admin panel. Some popular plugins used by most sites are; subscribe to, share this, Askimet, FeedSmith, Google XML sitemaps, all in one seo pak, etc. WPingFM posts the content on your blog automatically on social media sites.
4. Install Themes – You can easily download themes from the web, unzip them and upload them to use on your blog. To upload the theme, just set off the FTP client, connect to your site and open the folder named themes inside the wp-content tab to insert the theme. Once the theme is loaded, you can apply it by logging into your WP account and making the appropriate selection from the design tab. All the WP themes are listed within the Appearance tab.
5. Make use of Widgets – Widgets are boxes of information that one can drag and drop in the sidebar. Some of them are preinstalled in WP while others can be created on your own. They are commonly displayed as tabs on a page and each holds specific information like search, links, archives, biography, recent posts, comments and categories. Whenever you rearrange widgets, the changes are applied to the sidebar of your blog automatically.
6. Get acquainted with the Dashboard – These are the standard menu tabs are that used in all versions of WordPress. The dashboard shows data on your blog, blogs affiliated to WordPress and also the WordPress Development Blog. The post stub allows you to create, edit and categorize entries. Manage and upload all types of media files like audio, video, image and much more using the media option. Add, delete, edit, categorize and supervise links using the links stub. Likewise, the tabs for comments, pages, plugins let you manage the respective settings. The appearance stud helps you handle Sidebar Widgets and WordPress themes. Manage your own profile and all users as well as subscribers with the selection labeled users. Import or export data and upgrade the software using Tools. The settings selection helps you manage posts, discussions, permalinks and RSS feeds.
7. Adding a bio page – The bio usually contains your personal info, snap and any advertising related data. You can create this very easily in WordPress. Go to the dashboard and select the tab Widgets from the Appearance category. In the main widget area, click and drag the text widget to position it in any way you want and click on the save button after entering a heading in the title field and then typing out text in the larger box.
8. Take security measures – Being an open source platform, WP is prone to spammers and hackers; hence taking precautionary measures is vital. For starters, create a new username and password as retaining the username admin makes it easier for the hacker to guess your login information. Check strength of your passwords using online password checkers. Give limited access to search engine spiders that are indexing data on your website. Use the WordPress secret key generation tool to encrypt WP cookies and always backup your site’s files and database, especially the MySQL database.
9. Hooking your blog with mobile phones – The WordPress mobile pack has everything from themes, widgets, mobile switcher, and admin panel and web analytics to help you manage the mobile platform. WPtouch helps you connect to iPhone networks while the iPhone Control Panel makes it possible for you to add custom CSS. Change themes with the iPhone theme switcher and iPhone Countdown helps you keep tab of days and time.
10. Sync your blog with social networks – You can use plugins that will publish posts from your blog on social network sites like Facebook and Twitter. Use the plugin Twitter Tools developed by Crowd Favorite to manage posts on Twitter. While, Wordbooker is a plugin that helps you manage the publications on Facebook. Features like Facebook Share, Like, include faces, import comments and push comments make this app fun to use.
What makes WordPress so cool is that it is simple to use and of course free. The popularity of the software is unquestionable and it supports about 50 million blogs presently. You will have to do some research on your own and take out time to understand and get the software rolling but it will be worth it. With practice and the right information at hand, managing WordPress will be a snap.
About the Guest Blogger – Alia Haley is a blogger by profession. She loves writing on technology and autos. Beside this she is fond of cars and fancy dresses. Recently an article on nike mag shoes attracted her attention. These days she is busy in writing an article on HTC EVO 3D price.